Well, all you need to know about me is that I LOVE MOVIES. All type of movies to be honest, though I have to confess I am sometimes a bit lazy when it comes to foreign language. And it’s just pure lazyness, because actually some of my favorite films are in a foreign language, whether in Italian (Cinema Paradiso, but also I love some of those very depressing films from the neorealism times), or French (Amelie for example but also Truffaut) or even Swedish (I love “My life as a dog” and recently “let the right one in”) and I could go on mentioning other foreign languages forever, but I won’t, so you have to take my word for it: I do watch and like foreign films too.
Looking back at the past I can say that I love Capra’s classics, Billy Wilder ‘s (some like it Hot is still the best comedy ever made) and I think Hitchtcock was an absolute genius (Rear Window is among my ultimate favourites)!
However, let’s face it, I am more of a blockbuster geek: I am a boy who grew up in the 80s, when Spielberg seemed to rule the world (ET is a masterpiece, but so is “Raiders of the Lost Ark” (click on the links to read both my reviews of them) and Jaws… I recognize the impact that Jurassic Park made, loved 95% of “Shindler’s List” and hated the remaining 5% of it and I now think he should get a new editor and get somebody close to him who could actually tell him “Hey, Steven, cut your films shorter please!)
The 80s was a time when CGI did’t exist and movies were more inventive because of that (not completely true, but you know what I mean…).
It was a time when the “Power of Love” by Huey Lewis was playing on the radio all the time (or my Sony walkman) and when the Duran Duran where so big that having them singing the title song for a james Bond film was the greatest thing one ever think of doing.
It was a time when Star Wars Episode IV, was actually “the first episode” and the line “I am your father” was the biggest twist ever!!
It was a time when 3D meant red and blue (or red and green) cardboard glasses!
It was a time when movies used to stick around in cinemas for weeks and weeks, sometimes months… and if they were really succesful, even a year!
It was a time when VHS tapes where the coolest things ever (I used to have around 2000 or something, now I have around 3000 DVDs and Blurays).
Then I grew up, and now the future of “back to the future” is actually our present… And yet somehow that child inside me decided to stick around a bit longer…
I’m in my 40s (well more or less… but who’s counting) and yet I still have the same passion for movies I had when I was 12. Going to the cinema is still the biggest treat for me, whether it’s on 3D or not, whether it’s in Black and White or Colour! I’m still keeping most of my VHS tapes, but they’re now surpassed by my Laserdics, DVDs and more recently Blu-ray (passing the 3200 mark). And one of the things I love the most about watching a film, is to be able to actually talk about it afterwards.
This blog, gives me the chance to do that.
I don’t claim to be a writer, nor I expect you to agree with me on everything. That’s the beauty of cinema: we all see different things at different times (some of my favourite films are things which I hated the first time around…), but one thing I can promise you: I’ll be honest.
Which is why I adopted the pseudo-name Moviegeek (other than the fact that I am one!). I want to be able to feel free to write about anything without feeling the need to be kind or more gentle towards people I may know (I do work on films you see? Have been doing that for over 20 years).
I’m going to try to be as open-minded as possible, watching as many genres as I possibly can, giving priorities to the big release of the week, but also trying to keep some space for the less known film out there and why not, sometimes re-visiting some old classics or simply films that I have missed on their first release.
This is just a blog about movies written by somebody who loves watching them. That’s all you need to know.
I’m open to suggestions, to dialogue and I’ll try to answer you questions whenever possible.
(write to firstname.lastname@example.org)
I hope you’ll like it… because I’m actually having a ball!
Check out my little email that got published on the Evening Standard about the BAFTA Awards